Experience Counts Among Mass Torts Attorneys in New York City
Reputable, knowledgeable attorneys can help you with a mass tort claim
Sometimes a single negligent act injures a large number of people. When this occurs, personal injury law allows several ways for the collective group to seek compensation through a single action. But such actions require a deft, experienced legal hand to guide them to successful conclusions. If you have been injured by a negligent act that may have harmed others and the incident occurred in the New York City area, contact the reputable mass tort litigation attorneys at Segan, Nemerov, Singer, Sonin & Tancer, P.C. today.
What is a mass tort?
A mass tort is a means by which a large number of injured parties can bring a single legal action against a negligent party.
Many people think mass torts are synonymous with class action lawsuits, but they are not precisely the same. Both a mass tort and a class action lawsuit involve:
- Large groups of allegedly injured plaintiffs
- A common defendant or defendants alleged to have caused the injury through a negligent act
- One legal action consolidated on behalf of all plaintiffs
But the similarities end there. For one thing, mass torts tend to involve smaller groups of plaintiffs than class action lawsuits, because mass tort plaintiff groups tend to live in the same geographic area. The collective group of plaintiffs is also treated differently in a mass tort as opposed to a class action lawsuit:
- In a mass tort, each plaintiff is considered an individual. Even though it is a single legal action, the facts of the injury must be established for each plaintiff individually, including how that plaintiff was harmed by the actions of the defendant.
- In class actions, a class representative stands in for all plaintiffs.
Personal injury lawyers usually initiate mass torts when one of the legal criteria for a class action is not met. For example, a mass tort action often proceeds when the specific circumstances of each plaintiff differ enough that one cannot reasonably be considered a class representative.
Examples of mass tort actions
Mass torts have been used to litigate many different types of personal injury cases. These include cases involving injuries caused by:
- Faulty medical devices or drugs
- Disastrous accidents, such as airplane or train crashes
- Defective consumer products
- Harmful food supplements
The New York City injury law firm of Segan, Nemerov, Singer, Sonin & Tancer, P.C. is prepared to examine your particular case and advise if a mass tort action is right for you.
Talk with a reputable attorney who understands mass tort litigation today
When a large-scale negligent act harms you or someone you love, there may be other parties suffering alongside you. The experienced New York injury attorneys at Segan, Nemerov, Singer, Sonin & Tancer, P.C. can review your specific injury case and decide if a mass tort legal action might be right for you. Contact us to arrange a free consultation. Reach us online or at (212) 696-9100 today.