New York City Negligent Security Attorneys Can Recover Compensation on Your Behalf
Property owners are legally responsible to secure their premises
Crime and violence may not be the worries they once were in New York City, but they are still major issues. Property owners and managers have a duty of care to protect tenants and other parties using their property from harm. If they fail to provide such security — perhaps by not providing a buzzer or key code for entry, not repairing locks or not maintaining sufficient lighting in walkways, staircases and parking lots at night — victims may be entitled to compensation. An experienced New York City personal injury attorney at Segan, Nemerov, Singer, Sonin & Tancer, P.C. can advise you of your rights if you have been injured because of such negligence.
What kinds of crimes and injuries can negligent security cause?
Negligent security can cause a personal injury in many ways, and there are many violent crimes that can be committed against a person. Negligent security can also involve preventable hazards. Such premises liability cases against negligent property owners often involve the following:
- Assault or robbery. If a victim is assaulted or robbed in a location where the property owner failed to provide sufficient security, the owner may be legally liable for the attack. This includes attacks in parking lots where a broken light or failed security simplified the attack.
- Hotels. Hotel owners have a specific duty to protect travelers. Negligent maintenance, broken locks or security systems, and other such issues can leave a hotel owner open to a lawsuit.
- Unsafe apartments. Broken lighting, broken locks, malfunctioning security systems and unsecured apartment complexes can leave residents vulnerable to robbery, sexual assault and even wrongful death.
- Swimming pools. Any swimming pool must be secured to prevent injuries and drowning. Even if the pool is owned and operated by the city, you can still bring a negligent security case against the city if you or someone you love is injured or killed due to an unsecured pool.
What can a negligent security attorney do for an injury victim?
The most important thing a reputable and experienced negligent security lawyer can do for you is help determine if you have a valid case of inadequate security. Any personal injury claim hinges on questions of negligence, but also on questions of direct relation of that negligence to your injury. A property owner may certainly be guilty of providing negligent security, but unless that negligent security provably led to your injury, your case is likely to fail.
If your case is valid, however, an attorney can fight on your behalf to secure compensation for financial damages directly related to your injury. These can include:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost or damaged property costs
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Lost past, present and future wages
Let an experienced negligent security lawyer analyze your case today
Many people do not fully understand their rights under premises liability and negligent security law. Even if you only suspect that you or a loved one has been injured due to negligent security in New York City, reach out to the injury attorneys at Segan, Nemerov, Singer, Sonin & Tancer, P.C. today to arrange a free case consultation. You can contact us online or at (212) 696-9100.